Native Texan Livin': Destin Diaries ~ Day 1 & 2

Adsense header

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Destin Diaries ~ Day 1 & 2

Well, we officially survived our first real road trip with the kids!  Our week at the beach was amazing & we all got 20 shades darker...oh, and we didn't kill each other! ;-)

Our trip started out on Saturday, 6/13/15 and the first 3 hours were spent driving through pouring rain.  We stopped for breakfast at Chick-fil-A in Biloxi & once we left there, we raced ahead of the storm the rest of the way.

It was really neat going through so many states in a short amount of time...unlike when we head West & we're still in Texas 5+ hours later! ;-)  We thought we were going to have a major headache going through the George C. Wallace tunnel in Mobile, AL but it turned out not to be too bad.  Weeeee....

We finally got to Destin around 3pm, got unloaded & went straight to the pool!  Talk about a room with a view!  We stayed at the Sterling Sands Condos in rooms 503 & 504.  (I have to say, I stayed in room 504 and the owners truly care about their property!  The condo was amazing!  There were so many personal touches & it came with a free beach chair & umbrella rental, updated kitchen & appliances, beach wagon, sand toys....We were totally impressed!  And it didn't hurt that the owners are Texans!)

We stayed at the pool for just a bit before heading down to the beach.  The kids had so much fun jumping waves & playing in the sand.  There was a red flag up which meant the waves were gonna be a little rougher so they didn't venture out too far.

After an hour or so out there, we all changed & went to The Back Porch for dinner.  This restaurant is right on the beach & they were able to accommodate our party of 13 pretty quickly.

Here's our lovely Matriarch of the family...mommy, a.k.a. Nana, a.k.a. Babs.

After dinner, the kids played in a toy boat right on the sand out on the "back porch" of The Back Porch for a while before walking back home.  Our condo was only about 5 complexes away from The Back Porch so it wasn't too too bad.

It was a long first day but a great one!

Up & at'em early, we woke up early & had breakfast in Nana's condo before heading down to the beach.

We spent the morning boogy boarding, building sand castles & burying each other in the sand!

For dinner, we went down to the Baytowne Wharf in Sandestin.  This place always reminds me of a little Bourbon Street.  It's so fun to walk down the "seashell streets" and see all the restaurants, boutiques & activities for kids.

The kids played on this cool playground.  It was much bigger than this picture can even show.

Find a big chair...gotsta sit on it!

This lawn area was one of their favorites.  We went pretty early so it wasn't too busy yet, so they could run around & flip without bothering anyone else.


We ate dinner at Acme Oyster House & it did not disappoint!  We waited about 10-15 minutes so we could sit on the upper balcony overlooking the main drag.  I finished off my Hurricane & got to try soft shell crab for the first time.  It was kind of odd thinking about eating the shell, but like Bo said, "don't think about it, just eat it" and it was actually really good!

After dinner, my mom treated us to gelato & frozen yogurt.  We enjoyed them sitting on the couches just outside of Pino Gelato right across from Acme.  I enjoyed my seasalt caramel to the bottom of my bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment