Tuesday, June 9, 2015
Packing for a Road/Beach Trip to Destin
We're taking our first real road trip with the kids to Destin, FL soon...and by "first real road trip" I mean making the kids sit in the car for longer than it takes to drive to Austin.
(Feel free to start praying for us (me) now!)
3 cars + 13 people + 2 condos = a whole lotta fun, chaos, drama & GREAT family memories!
My sisters & my mom & I have been trying to think of everything that may come up & plan accordingly. We're also packing as much from home as possible in hopes to not have to buy anything in Destin that we could've brought from home. Currently, our plan is to eat breakfast & lunch at the condo/beach and go out to eat for dinner.
Our actual list is pretty extensive, but here are some of our ABSOLUTELY MUST-HAVES!
- BEACH BAG! (You have no idea how often that 1 item gets left off lists!)
- aloe vera
- life jackets
- float rings
- picnic blankets
- beach towels
- boogie boards
- mini speaker
- small cooler to keep drinks cold at the beach
We know we'll have to go to the store to get some cold things like eggs, yogurt & milk but if there's room in your car, pack a cooler with essentials from home so you don't have to go to the grocery store the minute you arrive.
- water bottles
- juice (apple, orange, grapefruit, pineapple)
- juice boxes
- coffee, creamer & equal
- fruit snacks
- granola bars
- applesauce pouches
- lunch food (bread, turkey, PBJ)
- anything else you know you won't be able to find away from home (like HEB Tortillas!)
- toilet paper
- paper towels/napkins
- paper plates
- plastic forks (for fruit on beach, etc.)
- plastic disposable cups
- dish soap & sponge
- laundry detergent & dryer sheets (the new pod kind so it doesn't take too much room)
- ziplock bags (for phones, seashells, etc.)
- coffee filters
- plastic grocery bags (to store your trash on the beach or to keep things dry)
- spiced rum
Did I mention we're gonna be 13 people deep in 2 condos? 7 of those being kids? Nuff said.
We are SO excited to be getting away as a family & Destin is the perfect location to do that. I'm sure we'll come back with awesome memories we'll be talking about for years to come....like that one time my mom claims we tried to drown her in Jamaica! Ah, good times, good times! ;-)